Monarchs vault into playoff position
Manchester (36-31-3-4) is in third place in the Atlantic Division with 79 points. That puts the Monarchs in a four-way tie with Hershey, Norfolk and Connecticut for the final two Eastern Conference playoff spots.
Also Friday, Albany defeated Connecticut, 3-2, Hershey beat Adirondack, 2-1, and Norfolk was hammered, 6-1, by Syracuse.
The Monarchs have two games left: tonight at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Sunday at Hershey. Hershey is at Binghamton tonight. Connecticut wraps up its regular season tonight at Portland, and Norfolk finishes its regular season with a game at Albany tonight and at Providence on Sunday.
"We kept plugging away and withstood big pressure from a real solid team, " said Monarchs head coach Mark Morris. "Martin Jones (37 saves) came up big when we needed him. The penalty kill was very good and the (Tanner) Pearson, (Linden) Vey and (Tyler) Toffoli line provided the scoring."
Monarchs center Linden Vey scored the game-winner just 26 seconds into the third period. Vey intercepted a pass near the left wing half wall, circled around the top of the zone before fired a shot from the right-wing face-off circle that beat Senators netminder Marc Cheverie for his 22nd goal of the season.
Binghamton opened the scoring at 4:06 of the first period with a goal by center Pat Cannone. Tanner Pearson tied the game at 1-1 for the Monarchs at 7:44 of the first period.
Jones (26-25-4) earned his 26th victory of the season, making 37 saves on 38 shots.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
- Vin Sylvia: After Ellsbury: Give the kids a chance - 0
- Penmen follow simple theme - 0
- Last Huddle for Lenahan today - 0
- Monarchs back to work for three-game weekend - 0
- Army captain stops LaMotte in mixed martial arts bout - 0
- College Notebook: NH athletes receive fall accolades - 0
- MMA 'Throwdown at The Rock' to feature Nate LaMottee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- Ayotte tours Dover camping gear firm - 0
- Newton boy badly hurt when struck by SUV while walking - 0
- Police recover stolen SUV investigating burglary - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans