Home » News » Public Safety
Fundraiser provides vests for Lebanon police dogs
Lebanon Police Deparmtent K-9s Cody, top, and Max, above, will receive ballistic vests through a Bay State group. (Courtesy Photo)
Lebanon Police Department K9 Max, who is trained in narcotic drug detection, is receiving a ballistic vest from a Bay State group. courtesy
"Certainly it's a financial assistance to us. These vests can be very expensive, but they are very important for our K-9 division," said Lebanon Police Capt. Tim Cohen. "Our K-9s respond to very dangerous missions throughout the year."
The dogs are involved in various police activities, from dangerous manhunts to the execution of search warrants.
"They're officers. They are part of our team. They are our friends," Cohen said. "They are not only an important part of the police department, but certainly they are part of the officers' families. They literally go home with the officer, they live with the officer's family. Help with anything we can do to keep them safer is a good thing."
A nationwide Groupon event for Vested Interest in K-9s Inc., of East Taunton, Mass., raised over $155,000 in eight days last month.
Lebanon Senior Officer Jeremy Perkins' K-9 partner Max, a Belgian Malinois, and Senor Officer Jonathan Tracy's K-9 Partner Cody, a German shepherd, are both set to receive vests, which cost about $950 each.
Vested Interest in K-9s currently has a list of over 20 police dogs needing vests.
For more information about the group or to volunteer or donate, call (508) 824-6978 or go to www.vik9s.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 2
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help