Home » News » Public Safety
Fundraiser provides vests for Lebanon police dogs
Lebanon Police Deparmtent K-9s Cody, top, and Max, above, will receive ballistic vests through a Bay State group. (Courtesy Photo)
Lebanon Police Department K9 Max, who is trained in narcotic drug detection, is receiving a ballistic vest from a Bay State group. courtesy
"Certainly it's a financial assistance to us. These vests can be very expensive, but they are very important for our K-9 division," said Lebanon Police Capt. Tim Cohen. "Our K-9s respond to very dangerous missions throughout the year."
The dogs are involved in various police activities, from dangerous manhunts to the execution of search warrants.
"They're officers. They are part of our team. They are our friends," Cohen said. "They are not only an important part of the police department, but certainly they are part of the officers' families. They literally go home with the officer, they live with the officer's family. Help with anything we can do to keep them safer is a good thing."
A nationwide Groupon event for Vested Interest in K-9s Inc., of East Taunton, Mass., raised over $155,000 in eight days last month.
Lebanon Senior Officer Jeremy Perkins' K-9 partner Max, a Belgian Malinois, and Senor Officer Jonathan Tracy's K-9 Partner Cody, a German shepherd, are both set to receive vests, which cost about $950 each.
Vested Interest in K-9s currently has a list of over 20 police dogs needing vests.
For more information about the group or to volunteer or donate, call (508) 824-6978 or go to www.vik9s.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- New fire training facility proposed in Nashua - 0
- 2 die in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 5
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
- The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission - 0
- Connecting trails: First OHRVs, now bikes - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
DWI License Revocations