Home » Opinion » Editorials
Trying Dzhokhar: Two (apparently) good calls
With no established ties to a terrorist organization currently at war with the United States, Tsarnaev would not meet the current legal definition of an enemy combatant. Being a Muslim who detonated bombs in a U.S. city is not enough.
It is conceivable that the investigation of Tsarnaev would reveal connections that would make him eligible for enemy combatant status. Apparently the President believes that such connections are highly improbable. Either that or Obama wants to get Tsarnaev into civilian court before such connections can be established because the President has a strong distaste for using military courts even when their use is appropriate.
The President absolutely made the right call, though, in using the public safety exception to delay Mirandizing the suspect. This case clearly falls under that exception.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 3
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
- Little for Senate: A voice for the Upper Valley - 1
- Edwards for Senate: A driven leader for Dist. 4 - 0
- Quieting Keene: Fight for your right to party - 3
- Teacher pay: Treat them like professionals - 21
- School emergencies: A tale of two superintendents - 1
- Tradition wins: The boring lives of rock stars - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fight leads to stabbing in Plymouth - 0
- Keene State president promises to punish students involved in riot - 2
- Somersworth plaza evacuated after phoned threat to blow up NH State Liquor Store - 0
- Canaan man dies after vehicle falls on him - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Crunch time and the dollars are flying in NH races - 0
- Vickers earns first pole in five years - 0
- James Pindell's The Back Story: Does the grassroots approach still work? - 4
- Shaheen: 'Don't Import Candiate That Outsources Jobs' - 19
- Abandoned Property: Romney, Brownies and even J.D. Salinger are on the list, are you? - 1
Monitoring social media
More violence at Keene
Boz Scaggs explores a bit of 'Memphis'
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
After riots, soul-searching begins
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy