Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox muscle there way by Oakland, 9-6
Napoli finished with five RBIs and scored twice for the Red Sox, who rebounded from Sunday's doubleheader sweep against the Kansas City Royals for their seventh win in nine games. Felix Doubront (2-0) matched a career high with five walks while allowing three runs and three hits over 6 2/3 innings.
A.J. Griffin (2-1) endured his worst outing in 19 career starts, surrendering a career-high nine runs (seven earned) and eight hits over four innings.
Oakland jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the second inning when Jed Lowrie scored on a wild pitch and Josh Reddick followed with an RBI single. Napoli countered with a run-scoring double in the bottom half and Middlebrooks gave Boston the lead for good with his line-drive homer that easily cleared the Green Monster.
Leading 4-3 in the fifth, the Red Sox took control when a fielding error helped load the bases for Napoli, who crushed Griffin's low fastball over the wall in left-center. Oakland halved its deficit with three runs in the eighth, but Junichi Tazawa pitched out of a jam and Andrew Bailey posted his fourth save.
NOTEBOOK: Napoli's slam was the first by a Sox hitter since David Ortiz hit one against the Marlins on June 20, 2012. ... Oakland lost for the first time in Griffin's last eight starts, including the postseason. ... The Athletics scored two more runs Monday than they did while dropping all three games against the Tampa Bay Rays over the weekend.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 9
- John Stark's 'We the People' gears up for civics competition - 0
- MCC students get hands-on experience building Manchester home - 0
- Manchester board holds off seeking $22m for building projects - 0
- Nashua survey reveals class sizes as major issue - 1
- Young teacher puts education in motion - 1
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 12
- Nashua school board approves changes in design, hospitality, music programs - 0
- Claremont seeks alternatives to demolishing Stevens High School stage - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man wanted in Vermont arrested after high-speed chase in Rochester - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice