Home » News » Public Safety
Rochester firefighters back at scene of last week's 2-alarm fire
While firefighters used water and foam to extinguish the fire, Zombeck said crews had to return Monday evening after a hot spot hidden within the debris re-ignited in the basement area.
Last Thursday's fire, reported at 3:08 p.m., destroyed a vacant home and scorched more than an acre of swampy woods off Chestnut Hill Road.
"Right now, we're considering it suspicious," Zombeck said. The building was not connected to any power lines, he said.
Zombeck said firefighters remain concerned how quickly the fire spread into nearby woods. The second alarm was sounded to bring additional personnel to prevent the fire from spreading further.
Due to the proximity to Route 16, which had to be shut down briefly, and easy access along an old road behind the Lydall plant, firefighters were able to reach the site and pump in water from a hydrant on Chestnut Hill Road.
Local crews were assisted by firefighters from Barrington, Dover, Durham, Farmington and Somersworth and forest rangers from the state's Forest Protection Bureau, which is part of the N.H. Department of Resources and Economic Development. Firefighters from Farmington, Milton and Rochester provided station coverage.
Zombeck said during the past week, the state determined the fire danger to be high - a 3 on a scale of 5 - but he anticipates fire-danger levels to increase as warmer temperatures continue to dry out the area.
For more information or to view the daily fire danger level, visit www.nhdfl.org.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 13
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist