Home » News » Public Safety
15 towns fight five-alarm brush fire in the Weirs
Laconia Fire Capt. Bob Landry said about seven acres are burning between Weirs Boulevard and White Oaks Road, in a wooded area behind the Racquet Club.
Landry said forest fire crews have been digging a fire line to keep the flames from spreading. That involves creating a four-foot wide path around the burning area and removing all the "duff," the leaves and pine needles that can burn. That creates a fire break, he explained.
Once that is finished, fire crews will use hose lines and hand tools to extinguish the fire, Landry said.
He said fire fighters are stationed along White Oaks Road to protect some homes in that area.
The fire was reported around 1:30 p.m. and was still not under control three hours later.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Several pets succumb to fire at Farmington home Thursday - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 1
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town, school budgets approved in Amherst - 0
- Wilton-Lyndeborough elementary school merger plan passes - 0
- Hollis voters approve all warrant articles - 0
- Div. I Girls' Basketball: Bedford advances to final with ease - 0
- Boys' Hockey: Souhegan, John Stark-Hopkinton advance in Div. III - 0
- Div. II Boys' Hockey: Bow and Bedford to meet for crown - 0
- Div. I Boys' Hockey: Londonderry moves on to title game - 0
- Div. I Boys' Hockey: Central pulls the semifinal upset - 0
- Bruins edge Phoenix for seventh straight win - 0
Town, school budgets approved in Amherst
Rochester firm is ready to add jobs
John Stossel: The bogus war on women
Hollis voters approve all warrant articles
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill