Home » News » Public Safety
15 towns fight five-alarm brush fire in the Weirs
Laconia Fire Capt. Bob Landry said about seven acres are burning between Weirs Boulevard and White Oaks Road, in a wooded area behind the Racquet Club.
Landry said forest fire crews have been digging a fire line to keep the flames from spreading. That involves creating a four-foot wide path around the burning area and removing all the "duff," the leaves and pine needles that can burn. That creates a fire break, he explained.
Once that is finished, fire crews will use hose lines and hand tools to extinguish the fire, Landry said.
He said fire fighters are stationed along White Oaks Road to protect some homes in that area.
The fire was reported around 1:30 p.m. and was still not under control three hours later.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition
Citizens Bank robbed Saturday in Manchester