Home » News » Public Safety
15 towns fight five-alarm brush fire in the Weirs
Laconia Fire Capt. Bob Landry said about seven acres are burning between Weirs Boulevard and White Oaks Road, in a wooded area behind the Racquet Club.
Landry said forest fire crews have been digging a fire line to keep the flames from spreading. That involves creating a four-foot wide path around the burning area and removing all the "duff," the leaves and pine needles that can burn. That creates a fire break, he explained.
Once that is finished, fire crews will use hose lines and hand tools to extinguish the fire, Landry said.
He said fire fighters are stationed along White Oaks Road to protect some homes in that area.
The fire was reported around 1:30 p.m. and was still not under control three hours later.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth