Fire crews from Hudson, Windham, Pelham, Nashua and Tyngsboro, Mass., respond to the a two-alarm blaze. (APRIL GUILMET PHOTO)
Fire damages Hudson business
A call came in to the Hudson Fire Department just before 6 p.m., according to Fire Chief Shawn Murray.
"Something occurred within the machine, though we're still investigating exactly what happened," Murray said at the scene.
The machine malfunction resulted in a two-alarm fire, which fire crews from Hudson, Windham, Pelham, Nashua and Tyngsboro, Mass., kept contained to a single area, though heavy, toxic smoke filled the entire building.
No one was injured in the blaze, Murray said, though the extent of the building's damage is unclear at this time.
A decontamination station was set up behind the building for firefighters exiting the scene, while large, portable fans were brought inside to help clear away the smoke.
Crews from Nashua hazmat were also activated.
Several employees and curious neighbors gathered on the company's lawn to watch as a Nashua Fire Department ladder brought crews to the building's roof.
An employee who didn't give his name said he was working in the general area when sparks began to fly off the machine, which is about the size of a medium-sized car.
The company, located at 46 River Road, provides precision machining services for the medical, electronic and high-tech market.