Home » News » Public Safety
Gasoline-soaked man stops traffic in downtown Rochester
Rochester firefighters and police stand by as a Frisbie Memorial Hospital paramedic evaluates a man who soaked himself in gasoline in a major downtown intersection late Monday morning. (Paul Dolnier Photo)
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 11:30 a.m. after the man appeared to have covered himself in gasoline and walked into the intersection of South Main Street and Columbus Avenue, according to Fire Capt. Mark Avery.
Avery said the man did not ignite himself.
"When we got there, police pretty much had him face down," Avery said.?"He was wet, so we assumed it was gasoline," Avery said, adding officials removed the man's shirt as a precaution.
Avery said paramedics took the man, whose identity has not been released, to Frisbie Memorial Hospital for further treatment and evaluation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Nashua South edges Manchester Memorial in girls soccer action - 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 10
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 10
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 5
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 3
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone