Home » Opinion » Editorials
Overreaction: Safety over the Constitution?
The would-be king of New York City said after the bombings, "we live in a complex world where you're going to have to have a level of security greater than you did back in the olden days, if you will. And our laws and our interpretation of the Constitution, I think, have to change."
One of the changes he advocated was to expand government surveillance of citizens. Last week, a New York Times/CBS News poll found that 78 percent of respondents wanted more government surveillance of public spaces. Worse, 66 percent said information about making explosives should not be permitted on the Internet. The Founding Fathers would be appalled.
Empowering the government to ban speech and track our every movement will not make us safer. It will do the opposite. Americans unfamiliar with the phrase "secure the blessings of liberty," which would seem to be most Americans, would do well to Google it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 11
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 2
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help