Home » News » Public Safety
Police probe fire at Rochester community center
"The fire was a set fire," Bellio said. He said someone set fire to a wall-mounted soap dispenser in a second-floor bathroom, causing alarms to sound around 11:30 a.m.
The former high school, located at 150 Wakefield St. on Route 125, houses the city's recreation department and economic development personnel as well as the school superintendent's office, a local food pantry, a driving school and other agencies.
Bellio said he's been unable to determine whether the soap was alcohol-based, which could contribute to the fire.
The wall was concrete block, and Bellio said the dispenser burned and melted on the floor.
Bellio said the smoke damage was contained to the bathroom for the most part, even though thick, black smoke filled the length of the second-floor hallway, which runs through the center of the building.
As the building was quickly evacuated, Bellio said no one was injured.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 1
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former coach convicted 2nd time - 0
- Gilmanton library funding passes by 17 votes - 0
- Several pets succumb to fire at Farmington home Thursday - 0
- Teacher's contract defeated in Newfound district - 0
- Nashua merchants not sold on free parking proposal - 0
- Bill prohibits housing discrimination against Section 8 tenants - 0
- NH fugitive sought for a year found in Detroit - 0
- Senate bans use of credit history in hiring decisions - 0
- John Stossel: The bogus war on women - 0
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown doles out $29k to NHGOP committees from his PAC
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill