Londonderry's Leach Library envisions a summer full of stories
"Our goal is to encourage a summer full of reading," librarian Emily Hersey said.
This summer's children's program theme is "Dig Into Reading," with participants working together to read enough books to dig a virtual tunnel that's the length of Mammoth Road in Londonderry - all 19.6 miles.
Each book read will equal one yard of "tunnel" dug, with children up to the sixth grade encouraged to join in the fun.
Special events include "A Visit with Froggy" on June 25, 26 and 27, as well as weekly trivia contests, crafts and Saturday scavenger hunts.
This summer's young adult program theme is "Beneath the Surface," with weekly book club meetings held Thursday nights starting June 20. Program selections include a discussion of Suzanne Collins' "Gregor the Overlander" and a screening of the film "Journey to the Center of the Earth."
Participants will receive raffle tickets for each book or group of magazines read, with passes to Canobie Lake Park, Water Country, the Londonderry Country Club, and local retail stores and movie theatres among the prizes.
Londonderry Middle School students can also earn extra credit for the coming school year's English classes by keeping a reading log of books read over the summer.
This summer's adult program theme is "Groundbreaking Reads," with all adult cardholders eligible to participate in "Book Bingo," where they can compete to win a variety of prizes.
All summer activities are free, though some of the special events require advance registration.
For more information or a complete list of summer programs, visit the library page on the town's website, www.londonderrynh.org or call 432-1132.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 18
- Surprise, surprise: Obamacare funds abortions - 60
- Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over - 8
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 5
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 12
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 28
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change