Londonderry's Leach Library envisions a summer full of stories
"Our goal is to encourage a summer full of reading," librarian Emily Hersey said.
This summer's children's program theme is "Dig Into Reading," with participants working together to read enough books to dig a virtual tunnel that's the length of Mammoth Road in Londonderry - all 19.6 miles.
Each book read will equal one yard of "tunnel" dug, with children up to the sixth grade encouraged to join in the fun.
Special events include "A Visit with Froggy" on June 25, 26 and 27, as well as weekly trivia contests, crafts and Saturday scavenger hunts.
This summer's young adult program theme is "Beneath the Surface," with weekly book club meetings held Thursday nights starting June 20. Program selections include a discussion of Suzanne Collins' "Gregor the Overlander" and a screening of the film "Journey to the Center of the Earth."
Participants will receive raffle tickets for each book or group of magazines read, with passes to Canobie Lake Park, Water Country, the Londonderry Country Club, and local retail stores and movie theatres among the prizes.
Londonderry Middle School students can also earn extra credit for the coming school year's English classes by keeping a reading log of books read over the summer.
This summer's adult program theme is "Groundbreaking Reads," with all adult cardholders eligible to participate in "Book Bingo," where they can compete to win a variety of prizes.
All summer activities are free, though some of the special events require advance registration.
For more information or a complete list of summer programs, visit the library page on the town's website, www.londonderrynh.org or call 432-1132.
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 4
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
- Computerized firearms: Holder's bad gun idea - 3
- Republican diversity: NH welcomes political ideas - 8
- Reams vs. Foster: A power grab struck down - 4
- City health costs: Wellness coordinator is no fix - 1
- R.I.P., Tom Brennan: A good manager and better man - 2
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start