House panel hears account of Benghazi attack
Gregory Hicks, the deputy chief of mission in Libya during the Sept. 11, 2012, attacks, testified before a House committee that he was frustrated when the U.S. military turned down a request to dispatch four Special Operations troops from Tripoli to Benghazi the next morning, saying he felt they were urgently needed to help evacuate Americans.
"People in Benghazi had been fighting all night," he said. "They were tired, exhausted. We wanted to make sure the airport was secure for their withdrawal."
The Pentagon, which has not previously acknowledged the debate over where the four-man team would be most valuable, defended on Wednesday the decision to keep them in the capital.
"We continue to believe there was nothing this team could have done to assist during the second attack in Benghazi," Pentagon spokesman George Little told reporters. Little noted there were also concerns about the security of American officials in the Libyan capital. Republicans honed in on the controversial remarks by U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice five days after the attack. She said in television interviews that the U.S. government believed the attacks had been preceded by a demonstration over a video that disparaged Islam. Hicks said U.S. officials knew better by then and that the remarks angered the Libyan president, who had gone on record calling it a terrorist attack. That discord prevented the FBI from reaching Benghazi for several days, Hicks said, because the Libyan government was not able to guarantee their safety.
Libyan President Mohamed Yusuf al-Magariaf was "insulted in front of his own people," Hicks said. "His credibility was reduced. His ability to lead his country was damaged."
Hicks said that after a long, distinguished career, senior officials at the State Department turned on him for asking pointed questions about Rice's remarks. His bosses suggested he should curtail his assignment, citing management failures.
"I was angry with the way I was criticized," he said. "I felt I had been tried and convicted in absentia."
His current assignment as a desk officer represents a demotion, Hicks said.
The hearing also included testimony from a State Department security expert who was assigned to the embassy in Libya months before the deadly attacks on the U.S. compounds in Benghazi. Eric Nordstrom, the regional security officer posted in Libya when the U.S. Embassy was reopened after the country's 2011 civil war, said Wednesday that the government's probe into the incident failed to adequately take senior leaders to task for security lapses and management failures.
He said it was "inexplicable" that the department's investigation into the matter failed to "review the decisions of the (undersecretary) for management and other senior leaders," according to remarks prepared for delivery before the congressional panel.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. trying to secure cease-fire between Israel, Hamas - 0
- Domino's becomes battleground in Hamas cyber onslaught - 0
- Israel says ground offensive under way in Gaza - 0
- U.S. says Malaysian airliner was 'blown out of the sky' - 0
- NH National Guard to conduct annual training in Michigan over three weeks - 0
- Thousands come out in Boscawen to honor Garabrant's sacrifice - 1
- Thousands attend funeral service for Marine in Peterborough - 4
- More than 1,800 people attend calling hours for Marine - 5
- Greenfield family receives body of Garabrant, veterans offer tribute to Marine killed in Afghanistan - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket