Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Mass. man charged with Craigslist extortion plot for threatening to expose encounter with married man
He was arraigned on Thursday in 10th Circuit Court in Salem.
The victim, who is not identified in court papers, reported the extortion threats to Salem police on April 17, according to Salem Police Det. Michael White.
The victim had a sexual encounter with Gray at his Springfield, Mass., apartment on April 12 after meeting through Craigslist, police said.
Before reporting the threats to police, the man had already paid $3,000 for furniture that Gray had on hold at a local chain store, according to police.
"Gray had threatened to tell (the man's) wife about their sexual encounter if (he) did not agree to buy the furniture," White said in a sworn affidavit. Gray also suggested to him that the apartment where they had their encounter was being recorded.
Gray also made it known that he knew where to contact the man's wife and family during a conversation with the victim, police said.
Gray called the victim on April 17 and demanded $2,400 more to be put on a gift card, again threatening to tell the man's wife about the encounter, according to White.
The state Attorney General's Office permitted Salem police to intercept a phone conversation between the victim and Gray, according to the police affidavit.
"After monitoring a number of phone calls between Gray and (the victim), they corroborated that Gray was attempting to get money from (the victim) for not disclosing their sexual encounter," White said in the arrest warrant.
During their investigation, Salem police discovered that Gray was arrested for a similar incident a year ago.
Gray was charged by Springfield, Mass., police for allegedly extorting a 76-year-old Connecticut man he met online for a sexual encounter. The case was later dropped by prosecutors when the victim refused to cooperate, according to a published report.
Gray is due back in 10th Circuit Court in Salem for a probable cause hearing on May 20.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Derry man faces child sex abuse images possession charges - 0
- Man arrested after two-state pursuit facing more charges - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Second arrest made in Portsmouth store robberies - 0
- Probable cause hearings set for pair facing series of drug charges - 0
- Arrested school construction employees back at work in Unity - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 7
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917