Home » News » Public Safety
Berlin prison filling up, slowly
The prison is using the city’s water and sewer, and when fully up and running, is expected to pay around $1.4 million a year for those services. That cash flow will help the city pay its amortization schedule, as it continues to upgrade those systems, officials have said.
“The CRB provides a means for mutual communications and support between FCI Berlin and the local community,” Nichols said.
Meanwhile, the state’s Northern New Hampshire Correctional Facility, which opened in 2000, houses about 630 inmates. The facility was built for 500 medium-security inmates.
“It’s been talked about a number of times,” he said recently. “The resources haven’t been there.”
District 1 state Sen. Jeff Woodburn said that officials were concerned about female inmates being too far from their families.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 1
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 1
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 4
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser