Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Sanbornton voters say no to SB 2
The petitioned ballot question needed 60 percent of the vote to pass, but only received 49 percent of the vote Tuesday, said Town Moderator Patsy Wells.
Town Meeting will be held on tonight at 7 p.m. at Sanbornton Central School. Because of the vote, the town meeting form of government will continue.
The voter turnout was the highest in recent memory, Wells said.
“We usually have a good turnout,” she said. “Sanbornton takes its politics very seriously.”
The SB-2 question had been brought before voters 12 times in the nearly 20 years since state legislators permitted towns to let local voters make town decisions by paper ballot. Each time, Sanbornton residents have defeated the issue. Last year’s vote fell short by about 20 votes.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
- Stained-glass windows get new look at Tucker Free Library in Henniker - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice