Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Sanbornton voters say no to SB 2
The petitioned ballot question needed 60 percent of the vote to pass, but only received 49 percent of the vote Tuesday, said Town Moderator Patsy Wells.
Town Meeting will be held on tonight at 7 p.m. at Sanbornton Central School. Because of the vote, the town meeting form of government will continue.
The voter turnout was the highest in recent memory, Wells said.
“We usually have a good turnout,” she said. “Sanbornton takes its politics very seriously.”
The SB-2 question had been brought before voters 12 times in the nearly 20 years since state legislators permitted towns to let local voters make town decisions by paper ballot. Each time, Sanbornton residents have defeated the issue. Last year’s vote fell short by about 20 votes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- I-293: A plan to make it better through Manchester - 4
- Dover’s winter parking ban begins Dec. 1 - 0
- Rockingham Road to reopen Wednesday - 0
- Manchester’s winter parking ban goes into effect Dec. 1 - 0
- Public gets look at new Sarah Long bridge - 1
- In Windham, I-93 work is loud and clear - 0
- Expect delays: Road work on Interstate 93, Route 28 scheduled for this week - 0
- Police warn drivers to watch out for deer on roadways - 0
- Merrimack ramp tolls will stay - 4
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event
Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race