Home » News » Public Safety
Insurer seeks damages from 2010 gas explosion
Liberty Mutual Fire Insurance Company brought the civil suit last week against the owner and developer of the Sewall Farms condominiums and several other defendants following the explosion caused by a propane gas leak inside Lori Breard’s condominium at 16 Cortland Ave., Stratham, on June 23, 2010.
Both suits allege that propane built up in the basement of Breard’s condominium because a gas utility was improperly installed and certain protective measures were not put in place.
Among other claims, the suits allege that a lawn mower from Hayden’s Yard Maintenance struck an unprotected gas pipe that protruded from the ground, causing the piping to leak and propane to build up in the basement.
At the time of the explosion, the wrongful death suit said Breard, 56, was heading down the stairs to the basement of her condominium between 2 and 3 a.m. The blast pushed Breard part way back up the stairs and caused her to catch fire, the suit said. The condominium also went up in flames.
Breard was a well-known real estate agent who managed the Exeter and Portsmouth offices of The Masiello Group.
The gas utility was installed by D.F. Richard and United Mechanical Inc. The suits allege that the companies were negligent in the way the gas utility was installed and that the exposed piping wasn’t properly guarded.
Both suits seek unspecified monetary damages.
“The injuries to the decedent required treatment in the form of medical care and required her, and her estate, to expend sums of money for hospital, medical care and other related care, and funeral, burial, and other related end of life expenses,” the wrongful death suit said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 0
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 0
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser