Union Leader Santa Fund receives Family Kids Champion Award
Joseph W. McQuaid, president and publisher of the Union Leader Corporation, is presented the Singer Family Kids Champion Award by Gary Singer, executive officer of Merchants Automotive Group Inc. (PAT GROSSMITH/UNION LEADER)
From left, Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas, Gary Singer, executive officer of Merchants Automotive Group Inc., Joseph W. McQuaid, President and Publisher of the Union Leader Corp., and McQuaid’s grandson Charlie Cote pose for photos during the Salvation Army’s 2013 Camp for Kids Breakfast Friday at the Derryfield Country Club. (PAT GROSSMITH/UNION LEADER)
The award is presented annually by the Salvation Army at its Camp for Kids Breakfast, which this year was held at the Derryfield Country Club. It honors a community member for its support and advocacy for the city's disadvantage children.
"This is very dear to our family," he said.
In presenting the award, he said the Santa Fund began in 1959 after a Manchester Union Leader editor, sitting inside the Post Office Fruit Luncheonette up the street from the newspaper then located on Amherst Street, overheard a Salvation Army captain saying he was worried how he was going to raise enough money to get people through Christmastime.
The 2012 campaign raised $216,845.12
The 2013 Santa Fund Kickoff Luncheon will be held on Nov. 21 at the Radisson Hotel in Downtown Manchester.
How to donate
Santa Fund donations can be made by completing the online form by clicking "Donate" below or send a check to:
THE SANTA FUND
You can also drop off the printed form in our newspaper and a donation in the Santa Fund box at the Union Leader, 100 William Loeb Drive in Manchester from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. We will also have a donation drop box at the Intown Manchester Holiday Market on Thursday, November 29 and every Thursday in December.
Share a holiday greeting
With your donation, the Union Leader will publish a short holiday message in the newspaper. Just write it up exactly as you would have it appear, printing clearly, and mail it along with your donation. If you prefer to donate online, follow the link on the page following the transaction to submit a Christmas message.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Windham boys prevail in hoop opener - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan