Union Leader Santa Fund receives Family Kids Champion Award
Joseph W. McQuaid, president and publisher of the Union Leader Corporation, is presented the Singer Family Kids Champion Award by Gary Singer, executive officer of Merchants Automotive Group Inc. (PAT GROSSMITH/UNION LEADER)
From left, Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas, Gary Singer, executive officer of Merchants Automotive Group Inc., Joseph W. McQuaid, President and Publisher of the Union Leader Corp., and McQuaid’s grandson Charlie Cote pose for photos during the Salvation Army’s 2013 Camp for Kids Breakfast Friday at the Derryfield Country Club. (PAT GROSSMITH/UNION LEADER)
The award is presented annually by the Salvation Army at its Camp for Kids Breakfast, which this year was held at the Derryfield Country Club. It honors a community member for its support and advocacy for the city's disadvantage children.
"This is very dear to our family," he said.
In presenting the award, he said the Santa Fund began in 1959 after a Manchester Union Leader editor, sitting inside the Post Office Fruit Luncheonette up the street from the newspaper then located on Amherst Street, overheard a Salvation Army captain saying he was worried how he was going to raise enough money to get people through Christmastime.
The 2012 campaign raised $216,845.12
The 2013 Santa Fund Kickoff Luncheon will be held on Nov. 21 at the Radisson Hotel in Downtown Manchester.
How to donate
Santa Fund donations can be made by completing the online form by clicking "Donate" below or send a check to:
THE SANTA FUND
You can also drop off the printed form in our newspaper and a donation in the Santa Fund box at the Union Leader, 100 William Loeb Drive in Manchester from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. We will also have a donation drop box at the Intown Manchester Holiday Market on Thursday, November 29 and every Thursday in December.
Share a holiday greeting
With your donation, the Union Leader will publish a short holiday message in the newspaper. Just write it up exactly as you would have it appear, printing clearly, and mail it along with your donation. If you prefer to donate online, follow the link on the page following the transaction to submit a Christmas message.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- A faithful restoration of a Manchester cathedral - 4
- Calender of religious events in the state - 0
- South African chorus at Portsmouth church - 0
- Collection this weekend to help religious communities address a retirement shortfall - 0
- Interfaith Women of NH at Temple Adath Yeshurun - 0
- Candlelight Advent concert Tuesday night at Saint Raphael Church in Manchester - 0
- Keene churches increase winter breakfasts this year - 0
- Pope to visit U.S. next year - 0
- St. Margaret of Scotland in Conway to celebrate the Kirkin' of the Tartan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Cyber security a fear in NH, too
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
A new era for Nashua's police force
Haylee Ann-Marie Patten