Some Winni Derby fishermen report seeing smaller catches
Dan Dunlop of Meredith and his son, Drew, spent several hours on the lake in their high-tech fishing boat, which allowed Dan to perch on the front while several fishing lines trolled the waters behind, with Drew tending them.
"There's nothing out there today," Dan said. "If you look at the winning fish so far, they are tiny."
Participants in this year's derby, a fundraiser by the Laconia Rotary Club on Winnipesaukee, were catching fewer fish than usual Saturday afternoon, said Diane LaBrie, the derby's chairman.
There are 1,400 registered anglers in the derby this year. For the first time, the winner in the salmon contest will have to take a lie detector test to ensure the fish was actually caught in Lake Winnipesaukee to avoid the possibility of cheating.
"The lake trout that have been caught are fabulous, but the salmon are not so large," Viar said. "It's just the way it is; there's been a decrease in the amount of larger ones. I would classify the salmon size on this lake as 'fair.'"
Wally Ryan of Canterbury also was disappointed with his catch, a 22-inch lake trout.
"It's a nice fish, but I don't think it's big enough," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- More information coming on Plaistow commuter rail station Wednesday - 0
- Peterborough's Rosaly Bass named organic gardener of the year - 0
- Salem selectman vows taxpayers won't pay for railroad ties removal - 0
- UNH exhibit aims to convey realities of war - 0
- Nashua man back home after a silent trek around America - 0
- Seacoast, Maine border region offer fantastic ice fishing opportunities - 0
- Bobcat resurgence raises trapping talk - 30
- Cheryl Kimball's Nature Talks: The beech tree is clearly her favorite - 0
- Nashua mayor honored for promoting the arts - 0
Bobcat resurgence raises trapping talk
UNH exhibit aims to convey realities of war
Granite State volunteers honor MLK's legacy
A gun fight: One the GOP should pick
Hassan’s HHS cuts: Where is the outrage?
Obamacare ‘surprise: More tax bill headaches
Hearing set for Gorham man facing 200 charges for kidnapping, sexual abuse of Conway teen