Some Winni Derby fishermen report seeing smaller catches
Dan Dunlop of Meredith and his son, Drew, spent several hours on the lake in their high-tech fishing boat, which allowed Dan to perch on the front while several fishing lines trolled the waters behind, with Drew tending them.
"There's nothing out there today," Dan said. "If you look at the winning fish so far, they are tiny."
Participants in this year's derby, a fundraiser by the Laconia Rotary Club on Winnipesaukee, were catching fewer fish than usual Saturday afternoon, said Diane LaBrie, the derby's chairman.
There are 1,400 registered anglers in the derby this year. For the first time, the winner in the salmon contest will have to take a lie detector test to ensure the fish was actually caught in Lake Winnipesaukee to avoid the possibility of cheating.
"The lake trout that have been caught are fabulous, but the salmon are not so large," Viar said. "It's just the way it is; there's been a decrease in the amount of larger ones. I would classify the salmon size on this lake as 'fair.'"
Wally Ryan of Canterbury also was disappointed with his catch, a 22-inch lake trout.
"It's a nice fish, but I don't think it's big enough," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alice Cooper 'Raise The Dead – Live From Wacken' DVD out October 21 in North America via UDR Music - 0
- Joan Osborne & The Weight: Members of The Band in Plymouth next weekend - 0
- Signature Chefs Auction® Honors Manchester's Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield - 0
- Five Finger Death Punch co-headlining Fall arena tour with Volbeat kicks off today, hits Lowell September 26 - 0
- Win tickets to see Kip Moore - 0
- Win tickets to see Demi Lovato - 0
- Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio - 0
- Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads - 0
- Win tickets to see Tower of Power - 0
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua