Some Winni Derby fishermen report seeing smaller catches
Dan Dunlop of Meredith and his son, Drew, spent several hours on the lake in their high-tech fishing boat, which allowed Dan to perch on the front while several fishing lines trolled the waters behind, with Drew tending them.
"There's nothing out there today," Dan said. "If you look at the winning fish so far, they are tiny."
Participants in this year's derby, a fundraiser by the Laconia Rotary Club on Winnipesaukee, were catching fewer fish than usual Saturday afternoon, said Diane LaBrie, the derby's chairman.
There are 1,400 registered anglers in the derby this year. For the first time, the winner in the salmon contest will have to take a lie detector test to ensure the fish was actually caught in Lake Winnipesaukee to avoid the possibility of cheating.
"The lake trout that have been caught are fabulous, but the salmon are not so large," Viar said. "It's just the way it is; there's been a decrease in the amount of larger ones. I would classify the salmon size on this lake as 'fair.'"
Wally Ryan of Canterbury also was disappointed with his catch, a 22-inch lake trout.
"It's a nice fish, but I don't think it's big enough," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone - 0
- Former mini-golf course to transform into botanical gardens - 0
- Flash mob stands as one in Manchester for campaign to end childhood homelessness - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Danbury Grange plans fair, 'Living Sustainably' session - 0
- Gov. Hassan signs ATV bills, opens new North Country connector trail - 0
- The band Live return this October with new album, 'The Turn' - 0
- 2014 marks the 20th year of AmeriCorps programs - 0
- Billy Idol will release 'Kings & Queens of the Underground' on October 21 - 0
- Exhibit serves as 'Witness' to Civil Rights Movement - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you