Some Winni Derby fishermen report seeing smaller catches
Dan Dunlop of Meredith and his son, Drew, spent several hours on the lake in their high-tech fishing boat, which allowed Dan to perch on the front while several fishing lines trolled the waters behind, with Drew tending them.
"There's nothing out there today," Dan said. "If you look at the winning fish so far, they are tiny."
Participants in this year's derby, a fundraiser by the Laconia Rotary Club on Winnipesaukee, were catching fewer fish than usual Saturday afternoon, said Diane LaBrie, the derby's chairman.
There are 1,400 registered anglers in the derby this year. For the first time, the winner in the salmon contest will have to take a lie detector test to ensure the fish was actually caught in Lake Winnipesaukee to avoid the possibility of cheating.
"The lake trout that have been caught are fabulous, but the salmon are not so large," Viar said. "It's just the way it is; there's been a decrease in the amount of larger ones. I would classify the salmon size on this lake as 'fair.'"
Wally Ryan of Canterbury also was disappointed with his catch, a 22-inch lake trout.
"It's a nice fish, but I don't think it's big enough," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monadnock Conservancy gets towns' financial help - 0
- Wreaths Around Wadleigh auction raises about $1,000 for library programs - 0
- Wreaths Across America get big send-off - 0
- Bedford council to unveil 'conservative' $26.6M plan - 0
- Website: Durham best in NH for young families, Hooksett, Littleton also rank high - 0
- Register in January for Becoming an Outdoors-Woman Winter Workshop - 0
- Fundraising Underway to Support Tern Research at Isles of Shoals - 0
- Holiday Artisan Market at Rolling Green Nursery - 0
- Cranmore Rings in the Holidays with Festive Events and Extended Hours - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
2013 Holiday Happenings
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council