Some Winni Derby fishermen report seeing smaller catches
Dan Dunlop of Meredith and his son, Drew, spent several hours on the lake in their high-tech fishing boat, which allowed Dan to perch on the front while several fishing lines trolled the waters behind, with Drew tending them.
"There's nothing out there today," Dan said. "If you look at the winning fish so far, they are tiny."
Participants in this year's derby, a fundraiser by the Laconia Rotary Club on Winnipesaukee, were catching fewer fish than usual Saturday afternoon, said Diane LaBrie, the derby's chairman.
There are 1,400 registered anglers in the derby this year. For the first time, the winner in the salmon contest will have to take a lie detector test to ensure the fish was actually caught in Lake Winnipesaukee to avoid the possibility of cheating.
"The lake trout that have been caught are fabulous, but the salmon are not so large," Viar said. "It's just the way it is; there's been a decrease in the amount of larger ones. I would classify the salmon size on this lake as 'fair.'"
Wally Ryan of Canterbury also was disappointed with his catch, a 22-inch lake trout.
"It's a nice fish, but I don't think it's big enough," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett officials move to correct election error - 0
- Big deal in Goffstown over 'Stuart Little' - 0
- Hess seeks OK for store, gas station in Bedford - 0
- Salem students transform into historical characters - 0
- Renovation work continues at Salem elementary schools - 0
- AMC ready for start of 2014 season in NH's outdoors - 0
- Susan Dromey Heeter's Down to Earth: There's fun to be had in cleaning up after a tough winter - 0
- NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014 - 0
- Route 101 improvements are on track in Bedford - 0
Big deal in Goffstown over 'Stuart Little'
Win tickets to see Comedian Mike Birbiglia!
Shamrock count winners
NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014
Berlin BioPower plant coming up to speed
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers
Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted