Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester
“We will brainstorm about what participants want,” said Jim DeStefano, organizer of XMVSkate.
Current goals include raising about $500,000 to refurbish or rebuild the park.
“We want to build the likability for users so it will become self-policing,” Destefano said.
A fully enclosed facility may be beyond the anticipated budget, but organizers say they lean toward a pole-roof sort of covering that will allow use of the park through much of the year while making sure the activities are in public view.
Destefano suggests replacing or altering the Regis Lemire Community Center, either with a new structure that allows a better view of the skate park, or by removing part of the complex used for storage.
“I’ve brought my kids there a number of times and have never seen problems, I’ve never seen the kids disrespect the park,” he said.
The two firms represented at today’s sessions are experienced with developing, designing and constructing skate parks in cities across the country. Designers will discuss with city engineers whether the existing park can handle an upgrade or whether years of deferred maintenance means the reconstruction needs to be more extensive.
“I think if it was a good skate park, kids would still use it,” Destefano said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Janine Gilbertson's Granite Kitchen: Salmon en papillote, fishcakes and more for your Lenten (or anytime) repertoire - 0
- A new favorite spot for classy seafood - 0
- O'Connor named Manchester St. Patrick's parade grand marshal - 0
- Balsams project leader's vision includes big ideas, ambitious time frame - 2
- American Life in Poetry: 'The Kiss' - 0
- Tax prep program also helps Derry residents with financial advice - 0
- Nominations open for Salem Children's Champion Award - 0
- Cornucopia Project continues free film series - 0
- NH's 4,000-footers pose no challenge for Dusty - 0
Win tickets to see Black Label Society
New Hampshire Easter Egg Hunts 2015
American Life in Poetry: 'The Kiss'
A new favorite spot for classy seafood