Home » NewHampshire.com » Outdoors » Foliage
Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester
“We will brainstorm about what participants want,” said Jim DeStefano, organizer of XMVSkate.
Current goals include raising about $500,000 to refurbish or rebuild the park.
“We want to build the likability for users so it will become self-policing,” Destefano said.
A fully enclosed facility may be beyond the anticipated budget, but organizers say they lean toward a pole-roof sort of covering that will allow use of the park through much of the year while making sure the activities are in public view.
Destefano suggests replacing or altering the Regis Lemire Community Center, either with a new structure that allows a better view of the skate park, or by removing part of the complex used for storage.
“I’ve brought my kids there a number of times and have never seen problems, I’ve never seen the kids disrespect the park,” he said.
The two firms represented at today’s sessions are experienced with developing, designing and constructing skate parks in cities across the country. Designers will discuss with city engineers whether the existing park can handle an upgrade or whether years of deferred maintenance means the reconstruction needs to be more extensive.
“I think if it was a good skate park, kids would still use it,” Destefano said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alice Cooper 'Raise The Dead – Live From Wacken' DVD out October 21 in North America via UDR Music - 0
- Joan Osborne & The Weight: Members of The Band in Plymouth next weekend - 0
- Signature Chefs Auction® Honors Manchester's Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield - 0
- Five Finger Death Punch co-headlining Fall arena tour with Volbeat kicks off today, hits Lowell September 26 - 0
- Win tickets to see Kip Moore - 0
- Win tickets to see Demi Lovato - 0
- Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio - 0
- Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads - 0
- Win tickets to see Tower of Power - 0
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out