Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves
In the past year, e-book borrowing has increased by almost 100 percent, Library Director Jennifer Hinderer told city officials this week.
The library takes advantage of the New Hampshire State Library’s Downloadable Books Consortium to obtain novels that are then borrowed by city cardholders. The library also purchases electronic books through OverDrive, a digital distributor of e-books that sells libraries and schools the underlying software to loan titles.
Overall, digital borrowing accounts for a small amount of the library’s items being taken home, said Hinderer, who estimated that about 24,000 digital downloads were included in the library’s annual circulation of about 800,000 in the past year.
Circulation is down about 3 percent from May 2012, said Hinderer. Visits to the library are down about 2 percent, she said.
There are about 447,000 visits to the library each year or about 1,224 people per day.
More than half of the library’s proposed budget is for its staff and benefits. About 43 employees work at the Nashua Public Library.
“There are incremental changes in salaries,” Hinderer told the committee.
There are also four assistant librarians, five librarian reference employees, one media services coordinator, an assistant director and more. Twelve library assistants receive a combined salary of nearly $404,000.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Rymes is ready to roll following Fred Fuller purchase - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 1
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 6
- On being American: A point for reflection - 2
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection