Search continues for gadabout steer in Epping
Ryan Hoelzel, 9, of Epping, is hoping the steer he bought returns to his family's Epping farm. (JASON SCHREIBER/Union Leader Correspondent)
Long-time farmer Peter Rousseau, owner of Rousseau Farm, said Thursday that he'll most likely bring another one of his Belted Galloways over to 9-year-old Ryan Hoelzel's family farm on Fremont Road in a last-ditch effort to lure the runaway steer out of the woods.
The search began last Sunday when the young steer became spooked and took off when it was being delivered to Ryan's farm, known as Sanborn's Farm.
Ryan had saved up $350 to buy the steer, which he planned to name Panda, to show at fairs this summer and fall through 4-H.
"It wasn't that bad of an animal to handle. I've handled him a few times, but sometimes riding in a trailer they can get a little spooked. If I go over and I can find it I know I'll get it back," Rousseau said.
Rousseau said he doesn't believe the steer will wander near the road.
Ryan's mother, Mary Hoelzel, said that if the steer is found it will likely be returned to Rousseau so her son can find a younger one that would be easier to handle.
"I can always get a smaller one for him. I'm not one of these guys who walks away," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 1
- John Stossel: Incumbents almost always win - 0
- George Will: In Georgia, a capitalist struggles - 2
- Jonah Goldberg -- Cure for gridlock: Take hard votes - 1
- Another View -- Marco Rubio: Brown will stop the Obama agenda, put us on a better course - 5
- Another View - Sean O'Kane: Jeanne Shaheen is a friend of NH's tourism industry - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: How the cult of celebrity destroys our political culture - 3
- Pat Buchanan: How do terror networks win their Western recruits? - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Rep. Ann Kuster has not been a help to NH senior citizens - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Election Day hotline established to report suspected voter fraud, abuse - 0
- Nashua man charged in child sexual assault - 0
- Two accused of trafficking women in Hampton, Hooksett and Manchester - 0
- 'Fugitive of Week' captured in Hooksett - 0
- Pedestrian struck in Keene - 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four