Epping boy wondering 'Where's the beef' after his new steer runs away
Ryan Hoelzel, 9, of Epping, is hoping the steer he bought returns to his family's Epping farm. (JASON SCHREIBER PHOTO)
The steer that Ryan planned to name Panda never made it into the family's fenced-in field and has been on the loose ever since.
Dozens of family members, friends and neighbors have done their best to hunt for the wayward steer. It's been spotted a few times, but no one's been able to catch it, even though it has a halter and rope hanging from its neck.
Police have also been called in to help. The most recent sighting came Tuesday night when a Rockingham County sheriff's deputy saw the steer on the Rockingham Recreation Trail, not too far from Ryan's home in the area of Fremont and Jenness roads. The deputy wasn't able to catch it either.
"It's so frustrating. We were so close," said Ryan's mother, Mary.
He used every dollar he earned and collected for his birthday, Christmas and other occasions.
Ryan got a deal on the calf from a farm in Dover.
Ryan is facing a June 1 deadline to enter his steer in 4-H for this year's beef cattle shows.
"He's out the cow and out the money," his mother said.
If he's not able to enter fairs this year, Ryan said he'll probably just help out his friends when they show their animals and try again next year.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
- Nashua schools struggle to find more time for middle-school math - 0
- Former Gov. Lynch chosen for PSU Robert Frost award - 0
- Keene State College gets funding to further biology research - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads