Home » News » Public Safety
Man pulled from Barnstead pickup truck wreck with serious head injury
The accident occurred at 9:34 p.m., said Fire Chief Mark Tetreault.
When first responders arrived, they found the man's southbound truck had left the road for a few feet, traveling at a high rate of speed, before hitting a tree.
There were no passengers, and authorities said it was unclear Thursday night if the driver was wearing his seat belt, the chief said.
Tetreault said the cause of the truck leaving the highway is unknown and being investigated.
"All the rain and poor visibility didn't help, I would guess," he said.
Upon examining the badly damaged truck, they found the driver still alive, and began setting up extrication equipment.
"He was trapped in a rather small space, and we found that he had a head injury," said Tetreault.
It took 20 minutes to extricate the victim from the crumbled truck cab.
While the extrication was going on, it was determined that the man's head injuries were serious enough to have him flown by DHART helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, but Friday night's bad weather precluded DHART flights, Tetreault said.
The victim, whom Tetreault said was an adult local resident, was taken to Concord Hospital, where his condition was unknown Friday night.
Police were at the scene after the fire department left, investigating the crash.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem