Students hold ceremony to honor flags
On Friday morning, the seventh-grade class at St. Patrick School paused to honor their nation’s most familiar symbol, along with those who fought for it.
It was Theron Zajchowski, a member of Boy Scout Troop 610, who immediately raised his hand, suggesting they set a goal of collecting 50 worn, tattered flags over the course of the school year.
“Always remember our flags are important and should be viewed with the same respect we give to our soldiers,” Zajchowski said Friday morning, as VFW Post 10722 Sr. Vice Commander Ray Fabian stood at attention, saluting each of the folded flags.
Friday’s ceremony offered a chance for the local children to show their gratitude to those who served.
“Caps off to those who won’t return home, to heavens where they’ll soon enough roam,” one line of Aho’s poem read.
“You should always think of the flag as a living thing. It stands for courage and glory,” seventh-grader Kayli Keenan said.
“Our hearts go out to all of you,” he told them. “We just love you.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 0
- Girls' Basketball: Title defenders are also contenders - 0
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 0
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 0
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383