Home » News » Public Safety
Coos County campground owner vows business as usual despite fire; PorcFest X to go on
A fast-moving fire destroyed a building used for bingo, maintenance and housing a pool filter early Sunday. Structures used for guests were not affected.
The New Hampshire State Fire Marshall's Office is investigating the cause of the fire, and the structure won't be taken down until the investigation into the cause is completed.
But owner Crosby Peck said summer activities at Roger's will continue to despite the fire.
"The building really doesn't affect anybody's plans," said Peck, who has been an owner of the business for 16 seasons. "It won't affect anything as far as the campground or the motel or anything goes."
Part of the building housed the campground's maintenance equipment which had been cleared out as part of an ongoing project and had not been moved back inside.
"We're going to have an awesome 2013 season," said Roger's general manager Samantha Desroches. "We are 100 percent moving forward; in the grand scheme of things this is very small."
Members of the Free State Movement, which encourages people who share the group's libertarian outlook to move to New Hampshire, plan to gather at the site in three weeks for its annual Porcupine Freedom Festival.
Desroches and Peck said the fire will not affect the plans made by the group for use of the facility during the 10th annual event, dubbed PorcFest X by organizers.
"There's no need for a change in plan for anybody," Peck said. "We're sure we will put this back together."
No injuries were reported in the fire, which brought multiple calls to the Lancaster Fire Department.
There were no issues with visitors spending Memorial Day weekend at the camp.
"Everybody was extremely supportive and very easy to deal with" Deroches said. "And of course we have an amazing fire department."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- Manchester man arrested in Holiday Inn Express robbery - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 6
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 4
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 2
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 11
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser