Home » News » Public Safety
Coos County campground owner vows business as usual despite fire; PorcFest X to go on
A fast-moving fire destroyed a building used for bingo, maintenance and housing a pool filter early Sunday. Structures used for guests were not affected.
The New Hampshire State Fire Marshall's Office is investigating the cause of the fire, and the structure won't be taken down until the investigation into the cause is completed.
But owner Crosby Peck said summer activities at Roger's will continue to despite the fire.
"The building really doesn't affect anybody's plans," said Peck, who has been an owner of the business for 16 seasons. "It won't affect anything as far as the campground or the motel or anything goes."
Part of the building housed the campground's maintenance equipment which had been cleared out as part of an ongoing project and had not been moved back inside.
"We're going to have an awesome 2013 season," said Roger's general manager Samantha Desroches. "We are 100 percent moving forward; in the grand scheme of things this is very small."
Members of the Free State Movement, which encourages people who share the group's libertarian outlook to move to New Hampshire, plan to gather at the site in three weeks for its annual Porcupine Freedom Festival.
Desroches and Peck said the fire will not affect the plans made by the group for use of the facility during the 10th annual event, dubbed PorcFest X by organizers.
"There's no need for a change in plan for anybody," Peck said. "We're sure we will put this back together."
No injuries were reported in the fire, which brought multiple calls to the Lancaster Fire Department.
There were no issues with visitors spending Memorial Day weekend at the camp.
"Everybody was extremely supportive and very easy to deal with" Deroches said. "And of course we have an amazing fire department."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 39
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads