Home » News » Public Safety
Coos County campground owner vows business as usual despite fire; PorcFest X to go on
A fast-moving fire destroyed a building used for bingo, maintenance and housing a pool filter early Sunday. Structures used for guests were not affected.
The New Hampshire State Fire Marshall's Office is investigating the cause of the fire, and the structure won't be taken down until the investigation into the cause is completed.
But owner Crosby Peck said summer activities at Roger's will continue to despite the fire.
"The building really doesn't affect anybody's plans," said Peck, who has been an owner of the business for 16 seasons. "It won't affect anything as far as the campground or the motel or anything goes."
Part of the building housed the campground's maintenance equipment which had been cleared out as part of an ongoing project and had not been moved back inside.
"We're going to have an awesome 2013 season," said Roger's general manager Samantha Desroches. "We are 100 percent moving forward; in the grand scheme of things this is very small."
Members of the Free State Movement, which encourages people who share the group's libertarian outlook to move to New Hampshire, plan to gather at the site in three weeks for its annual Porcupine Freedom Festival.
Desroches and Peck said the fire will not affect the plans made by the group for use of the facility during the 10th annual event, dubbed PorcFest X by organizers.
"There's no need for a change in plan for anybody," Peck said. "We're sure we will put this back together."
No injuries were reported in the fire, which brought multiple calls to the Lancaster Fire Department.
There were no issues with visitors spending Memorial Day weekend at the camp.
"Everybody was extremely supportive and very easy to deal with" Deroches said. "And of course we have an amazing fire department."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name