Home » News » Public Safety
Hikers rescued from separate Monadnock region trails during rough weather
On Friday night , a Fitzwilliam woman, Rebeckah Bullock, 29, became lost while hiking with her 3 1/2 month old puppy.
Bullock's boyfriend, Richard Brackett went looking for her and after a short search contacted the state Fish and Game Department for help at about 11:15 p.m.
Bulloch was found shortly before 4 a.m. Saturday morning. Bullock said she became disoriented at a 90 degree bend in the trail and became lost. The woman built a shelter from hemlock bows to protect her from a steady rain. Officers said she used "recently-acquired survival skills" in building the shelter and remaining in one spot while awaiting rescue.
On Saturday afternoon at about 1:20 p.m., a Swanzey woman suffered a leg injury just below the summit at Mount Monadnock and needed to be carried off the mountain.
Fish and Game said Kristen Goodenough, 42, was descending the Dublin trail leg of Monadnock/Sunapee trail when she hurt her lower leg.
Conservation officers, members of the Monadnock park staff and fire and rescue workers from Dublin, Harrisville and Marlborough were joined by volunteers in carrying Goodenough down the mountain in wind-driven sleet and freezing rain.
She was taken by ambulance to Cheshire Medical Center in Keene for treatment.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 0
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 0
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance