Home » News » Public Safety
Hikers rescued from separate Monadnock region trails during rough weather
On Friday night , a Fitzwilliam woman, Rebeckah Bullock, 29, became lost while hiking with her 3 1/2 month old puppy.
Bullock's boyfriend, Richard Brackett went looking for her and after a short search contacted the state Fish and Game Department for help at about 11:15 p.m.
Bulloch was found shortly before 4 a.m. Saturday morning. Bullock said she became disoriented at a 90 degree bend in the trail and became lost. The woman built a shelter from hemlock bows to protect her from a steady rain. Officers said she used "recently-acquired survival skills" in building the shelter and remaining in one spot while awaiting rescue.
On Saturday afternoon at about 1:20 p.m., a Swanzey woman suffered a leg injury just below the summit at Mount Monadnock and needed to be carried off the mountain.
Fish and Game said Kristen Goodenough, 42, was descending the Dublin trail leg of Monadnock/Sunapee trail when she hurt her lower leg.
Conservation officers, members of the Monadnock park staff and fire and rescue workers from Dublin, Harrisville and Marlborough were joined by volunteers in carrying Goodenough down the mountain in wind-driven sleet and freezing rain.
She was taken by ambulance to Cheshire Medical Center in Keene for treatment.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorist struck by car while changing tire on I-93 in Londonderry - 1
- Man, 60, found dead in burned Manchester apartment building; 1-year-old boy rescued - 1
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 1
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 35
- Winter heating season means homeowners need to be alert - 0
- Teen driver hospitalized following accident in Rindge - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 14
- Despite contract provisions, most Manchester police officers live outside city - 25
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH Notebook: Ground game is Stony Brook's rock - 0
- The debut of the 'The $30,000 Nutt' - 0
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Drew Cline: Two weeks before the election, no one is talking about guns - 1
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 2
- Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash - 0
- Obamacare takes center stage at 1st Congressional debate - 2
- NHIAA Field Hockey Roundup: Londonderry edges Central - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Brummett spurs Derryfield - 0
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen