Late snowfall ties New Hampshire record set in 1967
"It's really more like a winter system, with a low off the coast that pushed a lot of water into our area and very cold air aloft from Canada," said Margaret Curtis, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service forecast office in Gray, Maine. "The combination was spots of snow,"
Among snowfall reports were 4 inches of snow in Jefferson, 2 inches in Alexandria and an inch in Pinkham Notch, with measurable snow reported in locations as diverse as Laconia and Danville.
"It's certainly unusual for this time of year, if it was a month earlier we wouldn't blink an eye at all," Curtis said.
According to Weather Service records, the latest measurable snow on record for much of New Hampshire occurred 46 years ago today, on May 26, 1967.
The cold air that combined with the moisture from the still-wintry-cold Atlantic came from Canada's Hudson Bay, Curtis said.
In some parts of New Hampshire, the warmer air closer to the ground either melted the snowflakes on the way down or caused it to melt on contact with the ground.
"It all the way down as low as 500 feet in many places last night, but didn't stick," Curtis said.
A frost is still considered possible in the northern mountains, in Pittsfield, Colebrook and Berlin a frost is considered possible straight through May 30.
Interior sections of New Hampshire generally see the last frost of the season around May 10; in Concord and the foothills it may be May 20th.
After a wet and chilly start, forecasters say the weather will be improving for the remainder of the Memorial Day weekend. Temperature are predicted to hit 70 in the Manchester and Nashua areas before the Monday night homeward trek begins.
- Summit of Mount Washington white with rime ice, snow to follow soon - 0
- Storms in Meredith cause outages - 0
- USGS reports minor earthquake just outside of Concord - 0
- Quake strikes northeast of Tokyo, no reports of serious damage - 0
- Hollis storm damage caused by microburst, not tornado - 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prisonREADER COMMENTS: 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson police charge man with impersonating police officer - 0
- Accident results in DWI charge for Hudson man - 0
- College Hockey: UNH freshman Clark ready, willing and able - 0
- Home-grown talent has UNH women's cross country out in front - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Playoff picture will get clearer - 0
- New players, new coach, new look for Monarchs in home opener tonight - 0
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 2
- Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad - 3
- FairPoint paying thousands a day for police details at Manchester sites alone - 0
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks