Sandwich event remembers past and present veterans
Organized by Police Chief Doug Wyman, the ceremony included comments from keynote speaker Charles "Chuck" Estano, Sr., taps played by Caitlin O'Hara, the National Anthem played by Sandwich Central School students, prayers led by the Rev. Dr. Marshall Davis of the Federated Church of Sandwich, and the laying of the wreath at the Honor Roll, where the American flag and the black and white M.I.A./P.O.W. flag few at half-staff.
"We remember those who as we speak are serving overseas and willing to pay that same price," he said, asking God to hold service men and women in his arms, and protect them with his grace.
"At the time, there was only one other family in the U.S. with as many siblings serving at the same time," Wyman said. "Unbelievably, he and his brothers returned safely home from service."
Wyman said on Memorial Day he remembers ancestors that have served in the military from as far back to the Revolutionary War to his brother, Capt. Kent Wyman, who served with the Army National Guard in Iraq.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 6
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 3
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 4
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua - 2
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof