Sandwich event remembers past and present veterans
Organized by Police Chief Doug Wyman, the ceremony included comments from keynote speaker Charles "Chuck" Estano, Sr., taps played by Caitlin O'Hara, the National Anthem played by Sandwich Central School students, prayers led by the Rev. Dr. Marshall Davis of the Federated Church of Sandwich, and the laying of the wreath at the Honor Roll, where the American flag and the black and white M.I.A./P.O.W. flag few at half-staff.
"We remember those who as we speak are serving overseas and willing to pay that same price," he said, asking God to hold service men and women in his arms, and protect them with his grace.
"At the time, there was only one other family in the U.S. with as many siblings serving at the same time," Wyman said. "Unbelievably, he and his brothers returned safely home from service."
Wyman said on Memorial Day he remembers ancestors that have served in the military from as far back to the Revolutionary War to his brother, Capt. Kent Wyman, who served with the Army National Guard in Iraq.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Creating a place of honor for servicemen lost of sea - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Help sought to place cemetery wreaths - 0
- Mason man pens book on veterans - 0
- Non-profit receives grant to get veterans on the move - 0
- Housing vouchers are available for veterans - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize veteran - 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
- Commentary- Mary Tamposi: Let's bring an end to homelessness among veterans - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads