Home » Sports » College Sports
Sloppy FPU outslugged at World Series
Franklin Pierce University almost erased a six-run deficit but eventually lost, 10-5, to Minnesota State-Mankato in the second round of the NCAA Division II World Series at the USA Baseball National Training Complex in Cary, N.C.
Franklin Pierce out-hit the Mavericks 12-11 as Dan Kemp led the way with four. Derry's Zach Mathieu had two of his team's five RBIs. He has driven in 39 runs this season.
Down 6-0 after four innings, Franklin Pierce mounted a comeback, scoring their first run in the fifth inning. Matt Walsh doubled, went to third on a single from John Razzino and scored on a base hit from Matthew O'Herron.
Calvin Graves plated O'Herron with a single to right field and Kemp followed with a run-producing single to center to close the gap to 6-3.
Nick LaCroix walked, leaving Mathieu at second, but Walsh struck out swinging to end the inning.
In the eighth inning, Franklin Pierce threatened to take the lead with runners on second and third and two outs, but Graves popped out to second base, stranding the tying and go-ahead runs.
It was an uphill climb for the Ravens, starting in the first inning when Lucas Skjefte launched a first inning solo homer for the Mavericks.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Concord proves it's the state's best - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released