Few answers in West High fight
MANCHESTER — The 19-year-old man stabbed in a fight near Manchester High School West on Thursday was identified Friday by police as Anthony Bayne of Pembroke.
The fight between two groups of youths eventually spilled over into the high school cafeteria. Police said the initial fight involved both West students and others, who met at Flaherty Lane and Schuyler Street, which is about two blocks north of the high school.
Police Lt. Maureen Tessier provided the name Friday evening following a request from the New Hampshire Union Leader. Police had previously withheld the man's name. She said police are continuing to investigate the incident.
"The individual who sustained the stab wound has been identified as a 19-year-old non-student," Tessier said. "But exactly how his injury was incurred is under investigation."
Bayne received a small stab wound to the center-left of his torso and was treated at a local hospital, said police, who identified and located him later in the evening. They said the injury was not serious, and he had apparently fled after getting stabbed.
He is not a school student, Tessier said.
Recriminations then spilled over to the West High School cafeteria, where School Resource Officer Brian Attardo and school faculty encountered a physical confrontation between several people, police said.
Attardo and school staff quickly separated the group and learned of the fight outside school property.
"Subsequent to (the) stabbing, several subjects were chased from the scene by members of the opposing group. They were chased south on Flaherty Lane, across Hecker Street, and into West High School, where a confrontation ensued in the school's cafeteria," police said in a statement.
The confrontation in the cafeteria was physical but involved no weapons or injuries, police said.
On Thursday afternoon, West High principal John Rist said the incident did not take place on West property. He was not in his office late Friday morning to take a call.
It's unclear whether any West students have been suspended. No arrests have been made, Tessier said.
According to Superintendent Tom Brennan's office, he is awaiting an update from Rist before communicating any information.
Tessier said police do not believe the fight is gang related.
"Witness accounts indicate that the fight on Flaherty Lane had been pre-arranged due to past conflicts among the people involved and their associates," a police statement said.