Home » Sports » College Sports
Granite Staters lifts UConn baseball team in NCAAs
Brentwood's Carson Cross pitched 6 1/3 innings to earn the victory and Nashua's Billy Ferriter cracked two hits and scored two runs, leading the University of Connecticut to a 5-2 victory over the region's top seed, Virginia Tech, in an NCAA first-round game in Blackburg, Va.
The Huskies, seeded fourth in the Blacksburg regional, advanced to play second-seeded Oklahoma in a winners' bracket contest tonight at 5:30 p.m. The Sooners beat Coastal Carolina, 7-3, in the region's other game on Friday. Virginia Tech will battle Coastal Carolina in a losers' bracket game at 1 p.m.
Ferriter singled to center and scored in Connecticut's three-run fifth, then did the same in the ninth as the Huskies tacked on an insurance run.
READER COMMENTS: 33
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council