Home » News » Public Safety
Litchfield woman dies after being hit by SUV
Police identified the victim as Debbie Craven.
Police said George Vasconellos, 20, of Hampstead, was driving a 1999 Jeep Cherokee westbound on Derry Road, also known as Route 102, when his vehicle struck Craven, who was trying to cross the street. Craven was pronounced dead at the scene.
Vasconellos was not injured.
Cpl. Heath Savage said police continue to investigate the accident and have not ruled out alcohol or drugs as a possible factor, either on the part of the driver or the pedestrian.
He said police are "getting full cooperation" from the driver. His vehicle was seized after the fatal accident.
No charges have been filed, Savage said.
The accident happened shortly before 9 p.m., and Savage said there are no street lights where it occurred.
"Somebody walking across the road, it would be difficult to see them unless they're wearing reflective clothing," he said.
Derry Road was closed from 9 p.m. until about 2 a.m. while the traffic accident reconstruction team from Hudson police assisted Litchfield in investigating the accident.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pedestrian struck in Keene - 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 3
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four