Home » News » Public Safety
Litchfield woman dies after being hit by SUV
Police identified the victim as Debbie Craven.
Police said George Vasconellos, 20, of Hampstead, was driving a 1999 Jeep Cherokee westbound on Derry Road, also known as Route 102, when his vehicle struck Craven, who was trying to cross the street. Craven was pronounced dead at the scene.
Vasconellos was not injured.
Cpl. Heath Savage said police continue to investigate the accident and have not ruled out alcohol or drugs as a possible factor, either on the part of the driver or the pedestrian.
He said police are "getting full cooperation" from the driver. His vehicle was seized after the fatal accident.
No charges have been filed, Savage said.
The accident happened shortly before 9 p.m., and Savage said there are no street lights where it occurred.
"Somebody walking across the road, it would be difficult to see them unless they're wearing reflective clothing," he said.
Derry Road was closed from 9 p.m. until about 2 a.m. while the traffic accident reconstruction team from Hudson police assisted Litchfield in investigating the accident.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax