Home » News » Public Safety
Litchfield woman dies after being hit by SUV
Police identified the victim as Debbie Craven.
Police said George Vasconellos, 20, of Hampstead, was driving a 1999 Jeep Cherokee westbound on Derry Road, also known as Route 102, when his vehicle struck Craven, who was trying to cross the street. Craven was pronounced dead at the scene.
Vasconellos was not injured.
Cpl. Heath Savage said police continue to investigate the accident and have not ruled out alcohol or drugs as a possible factor, either on the part of the driver or the pedestrian.
He said police are "getting full cooperation" from the driver. His vehicle was seized after the fatal accident.
No charges have been filed, Savage said.
The accident happened shortly before 9 p.m., and Savage said there are no street lights where it occurred.
"Somebody walking across the road, it would be difficult to see them unless they're wearing reflective clothing," he said.
Derry Road was closed from 9 p.m. until about 2 a.m. while the traffic accident reconstruction team from Hudson police assisted Litchfield in investigating the accident.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fire damages interior of home on Bypass 28 in Derry - 0
- He helps make the Londonderry police force stronger - 0
- Hampton Beach Fire makes new home official - 0
- Firefighters from 10 towns fight Loudon 3-alarm blaze - 0
- Mass. man rescued from Mt. Haystack in Franconia - 0
- Firefighters from 10 communities fight second 3-alarm fire in one day in Loudon - 0
- UPDATE: Lancaster man, 74, killed in head-on Columbia crash - 0
- UPDATE: Mother, daughter fell from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 0
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 0
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072