Home » News » Public Safety
Litchfield woman dies after being hit by SUV
Police identified the victim as Debbie Craven.
Police said George Vasconellos, 20, of Hampstead, was driving a 1999 Jeep Cherokee westbound on Derry Road, also known as Route 102, when his vehicle struck Craven, who was trying to cross the street. Craven was pronounced dead at the scene.
Vasconellos was not injured.
Cpl. Heath Savage said police continue to investigate the accident and have not ruled out alcohol or drugs as a possible factor, either on the part of the driver or the pedestrian.
He said police are "getting full cooperation" from the driver. His vehicle was seized after the fatal accident.
No charges have been filed, Savage said.
The accident happened shortly before 9 p.m., and Savage said there are no street lights where it occurred.
"Somebody walking across the road, it would be difficult to see them unless they're wearing reflective clothing," he said.
Derry Road was closed from 9 p.m. until about 2 a.m. while the traffic accident reconstruction team from Hudson police assisted Litchfield in investigating the accident.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- New fire training facility proposed in Nashua - 0
- 2 die in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 5
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
- The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission - 0
- Connecting trails: First OHRVs, now bikes - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
DWI License Revocations