Pembroke man's family stunned by his shooting by Manchester police
Dennis Lane of 12 Melissa Lane said he has known Varagianis for years and last spoke to him Sunday. Lane said he has been in a long-term relationship with Varagianis' mother, Sandra Sharp, who is suffering from lung and brain cancers.
Lane said Sharp, who is living in a long-term care facility, is now trying to arrange to see her son, who was at Elliot Hospital Tuesday night recovering from two gunshot wounds.
"It's really tragic," Lane said. "It's a pretty sad thing that's going on right now."
He said Sharp was given four months to live when she was diagnosed with cancer. That was 11 years ago; she's been fighting it ever since, he said.
Lane said it seemed that Varagianis, who had done prison time for drug-related offenses, had turned his life around by finding work detailing cars and starting a relationship with a new girlfriend. Lane said he'd offered to take Varagianas and his girlfriend out as a way to thank him for "doing so well."
Lane said family members, including Sharp and Varagianis' sister, Michelle, have no idea what may have prompted Varagianis' alleged actions Monday night.
"I have no idea," Lane said. "We're just like anyone else. We're trying to figure this out and what's going on."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too