Pembroke man's family stunned by his shooting by Manchester police
Dennis Lane of 12 Melissa Lane said he has known Varagianis for years and last spoke to him Sunday. Lane said he has been in a long-term relationship with Varagianis' mother, Sandra Sharp, who is suffering from lung and brain cancers.
Lane said Sharp, who is living in a long-term care facility, is now trying to arrange to see her son, who was at Elliot Hospital Tuesday night recovering from two gunshot wounds.
"It's really tragic," Lane said. "It's a pretty sad thing that's going on right now."
He said Sharp was given four months to live when she was diagnosed with cancer. That was 11 years ago; she's been fighting it ever since, he said.
Lane said it seemed that Varagianis, who had done prison time for drug-related offenses, had turned his life around by finding work detailing cars and starting a relationship with a new girlfriend. Lane said he'd offered to take Varagianas and his girlfriend out as a way to thank him for "doing so well."
Lane said family members, including Sharp and Varagianis' sister, Michelle, have no idea what may have prompted Varagianis' alleged actions Monday night.
"I have no idea," Lane said. "We're just like anyone else. We're trying to figure this out and what's going on."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Comedian Joan Rivers dead at age 81 says daughter - 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 0
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- Report: Cubs will hire Joe Maddon as manager - 0
- Pastoral Counseling Services honors Good Samaritans - 0
- Peterborough church plan advances after land buy - 0
- Stocks down a little after Fed move - 0
- Portsmouth retailer sells goods from across U.S. in a small 'pop-up shop' - 0
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw