Pembroke man's family stunned by his shooting by Manchester police
Dennis Lane of 12 Melissa Lane said he has known Varagianis for years and last spoke to him Sunday. Lane said he has been in a long-term relationship with Varagianis' mother, Sandra Sharp, who is suffering from lung and brain cancers.
Lane said Sharp, who is living in a long-term care facility, is now trying to arrange to see her son, who was at Elliot Hospital Tuesday night recovering from two gunshot wounds.
"It's really tragic," Lane said. "It's a pretty sad thing that's going on right now."
He said Sharp was given four months to live when she was diagnosed with cancer. That was 11 years ago; she's been fighting it ever since, he said.
Lane said it seemed that Varagianis, who had done prison time for drug-related offenses, had turned his life around by finding work detailing cars and starting a relationship with a new girlfriend. Lane said he'd offered to take Varagianas and his girlfriend out as a way to thank him for "doing so well."
Lane said family members, including Sharp and Varagianis' sister, Michelle, have no idea what may have prompted Varagianis' alleged actions Monday night.
"I have no idea," Lane said. "We're just like anyone else. We're trying to figure this out and what's going on."
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Six NH Air National Guardsmen off to Kuwait for 6 months - 1
- For one NH soldier returning from Afghanistan, a special greeting - 2
- More than 100 NH Guardsmen returning from Afghanistan - 0
- New Hampshire armories are running out of room - 0
- Pease Greeters continue to gather for troops in transit - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 5
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief