Freedom ride, vigil set to honor Sgt. Bergdahl
They will also honor the only American prisoner of war in Iraq or Afghanistan, Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl of Hailey, Idaho.
The Freedom Ride will begin in Gilford and conclude with a vigil at Hesky Park in Meredith with a proclamation from Gov. Maggie Hassan. Information on the Freedom Ride, sponsored by Laconia Harley-Davidson, can be found at www.northeastpowmianetwork.org.
"Our primary focus this year is to dedicate our vigil to Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl and his family," said Bob Jones, vice-president of the Northeast POW/MIA Network. "We need to do everything necessary and raise awareness so we can bring this American soldier home."
"International law and the Geneva Convention do not make any mention of the Missing/Captured status, thus it does not provide Sgt. Bergdahl privileges of care and treatment afforded to someone that is classified as an official prisoner of war," said Jones. "We are calling on the United States government to officially change Sgt. Bergdahl's status to POW so he can obtain the protection and international recognition he deserves. Those responsible for sending Sgt. Bergdahl into harm's way are equally responsible to protect him and to bring him home."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua court gives veterans a fighting chance - 0
- Derry Army veteran is a hit at Fenway Park - 0
- World War II veteran Stephan Lewy to receive French Legion of Honor - 0
- War hero Zamperini, inspiration for book and film 'Unbroken,' dead at 97 - 0
- Community groups prepare for fallen Marine’s services - 0
- 'Forgotten War' veterans thanked for in Concord service - 0
- Wakefield man serves aboard USS Constitution - 0
- Bikers to remember the fallen - 0
- Six Flags tickets free to veterans - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gubernatorial candidate Hemingway proposes NH tax system fix - 0
- Hanover co-op to meet on fired workers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Elm Street's resurgence includes a good workout - 0
- Your turn, NH -- Kate Pemberton: What a First Lady taught me about being a woman - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: My favorite things from one week this summer - 0
- Motivation Matters: Get rid of deficiency, not employee - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors need to have lots of intuition, instincts, creativity - 0
- Bedford man creates insurance rating system - 0
- No compromise: We win, you lose - 0
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Bedford man creates insurance rating system
NH traffic deaths take sharp decline
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
No compromise: We win, you lose