Freedom ride, vigil set to honor Sgt. Bergdahl
They will also honor the only American prisoner of war in Iraq or Afghanistan, Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl of Hailey, Idaho.
The Freedom Ride will begin in Gilford and conclude with a vigil at Hesky Park in Meredith with a proclamation from Gov. Maggie Hassan. Information on the Freedom Ride, sponsored by Laconia Harley-Davidson, can be found at www.northeastpowmianetwork.org.
"Our primary focus this year is to dedicate our vigil to Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl and his family," said Bob Jones, vice-president of the Northeast POW/MIA Network. "We need to do everything necessary and raise awareness so we can bring this American soldier home."
"International law and the Geneva Convention do not make any mention of the Missing/Captured status, thus it does not provide Sgt. Bergdahl privileges of care and treatment afforded to someone that is classified as an official prisoner of war," said Jones. "We are calling on the United States government to officially change Sgt. Bergdahl's status to POW so he can obtain the protection and international recognition he deserves. Those responsible for sending Sgt. Bergdahl into harm's way are equally responsible to protect him and to bring him home."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- Manchester man arrested in Holiday Inn Express robbery - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 6
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 4
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 2
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 10
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser