Home » Opinion » Editorials
Unrelated amendments: Enough with the false outrage
House Democrats really want Obamacare implemented. The Republican-led Senate does not. Norelli knew the House bill to ease Obamacare's implmentation would not get through the Senate, so she had it appended to a bill that makes changes to the state's renewable energy program.
On Thursday, Senate Republicans decided that the House's rejection of two labor-related bills was unacceptable. One of the bills would give the Legislative Fiscal Committee the power to approve state labor contracts. The other would allow employers to pay employees with cards rather than paper checks. Both bills had passed the Senate but been killed in the House.
In the past, both parties have decried the practice of attaching unrelated amendments to bills. Legislators in both parties still attack the other when the other party does it. Yet they both do it regularly. It is a practice that should not happen, but let's not kid ourselves that it is some wicked deed rooted in the opposition's ideology.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedbug infestation causes closure of Camp Spaulding - 0
- Abortion buffer zone suspended throughout NH - 0
- Missing Conway girl's mother not giving up hope - 0
- Two of Gregory Smart's killers nearing release - 0
- Another walk-off win for Red Sox - 0
- Nashua court gives veterans a fighting chance - 0
- Lowell apartment house fire claims 7 lives, including three children - 0
- Thibodeau claims fourth NHWGA Junior title - 0
- Stocks end lower on Portugal bank woes - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?