Governor to get bill to study changes to way Northern Pass, wind farms are sited
Originally Senate Bill 99 would have established a one-year moratorium that would have halted the Northern Pass transmission project and numerous proposed wind farms.
Sen. Lou D'Allesandro, D-Manchester, called the bill's time lines unrealistic. The study is to be completed by Dec. 31; it could take another year to adopt new regulatory criteria.
But one of the bill's sponsors, Sen. Jeff Woodburn, R-Dalton, urged the Senate to approve the House changes so the study could begin as soon as possible — along with changes to the site evaluation process.
In the end, the Senate agreed to the House version of the bill.
Senate Majority Leader Jeb Bradley, R-Wolfeboro, said it is "absolutely essential" to have a study, particularly of projects like Northern Pass and the wind farms proposed around the Newfound Lake area.
He argued the bill is not a de facto moratorium. Instead, he said, proposed changes will affect any developer proposing a future project.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- State asked to re-evaluate Livermore Falls settlement deal - 0
- Livermore 'friends' pleased with potential settlement from Groton Wind project - 1
- Groton Wind sound tests pass muster for committee - 1
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Lundberg survey says gas prices fall as refinery output rises - 0
- Peterborough OKs state's largest solar array project - 0
- Settlement reached between Groton Wind and state AG's office - 1
- Peterborough makes plans for state's largest solar array - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name