'Mac' MacCartin left his mark on area veterans
MacCartin, a retired U.S. Air Force lieutenant colonel who founded the Londonderry-based Avery Ministry Center, died of cancer this past October at the age of 71.
During Tuesday night's check presentation, MacCartin's wife, Carroll, was on hand to accept a check for $400 for Vet-To-Vet in her husband's honor.
A check for $5,368 was presented to Chris Mitchell, representative of the Taunton, Mass. based Homes for Our Troops.
The nonprofit charity has gifted specially adapted homes to more than 100 wounded or injured soldiers during the past seven years.
The organization, located at 75 W. Baker St., offers transitional housing for homeless Granite State veterans as well as meals, counseling and career placement to assist them in getting back on their feet.
"Private donations are very, very critical to the cause," said Zarakotas. "We depend a lot on the little guy doing a little bit."
"If you were to come to the Liberty House today and see the continuous stream of hungry veterans coming through our doors, you'd know just how critical the need is," he told the Rotarians. "We're losing the way, but we're winning the day-to-day battles thanks to your help."
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Deadline set for identifiers on for-profit MADD donation bins in NH - 0
- Navy again seeking bids to develop former prison 'The Castle' at Portsmouth shipyard - 0
- Navy: Anyone want keys to the Castle at Portsmouth shipyard? - 1
- Occupy Manchester group ousted from park makes case before New Hampshire Supreme Ccourt - 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings being evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal