'Mac' MacCartin left his mark on area veterans
MacCartin, a retired U.S. Air Force lieutenant colonel who founded the Londonderry-based Avery Ministry Center, died of cancer this past October at the age of 71.
During Tuesday night's check presentation, MacCartin's wife, Carroll, was on hand to accept a check for $400 for Vet-To-Vet in her husband's honor.
A check for $5,368 was presented to Chris Mitchell, representative of the Taunton, Mass. based Homes for Our Troops.
The nonprofit charity has gifted specially adapted homes to more than 100 wounded or injured soldiers during the past seven years.
The organization, located at 75 W. Baker St., offers transitional housing for homeless Granite State veterans as well as meals, counseling and career placement to assist them in getting back on their feet.
"Private donations are very, very critical to the cause," said Zarakotas. "We depend a lot on the little guy doing a little bit."
"If you were to come to the Liberty House today and see the continuous stream of hungry veterans coming through our doors, you'd know just how critical the need is," he told the Rotarians. "We're losing the way, but we're winning the day-to-day battles thanks to your help."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- DAV plans meeting - 0
- Carrabba's managers get down and dirty for a good cause - 0
- American Legion national commander to visit NH - 0
- Milford's World War II fallen honored Sunday - 0
- Suicide Prevention Week: NH expert focuses on veterans - 0
- Kuster talks health services with vets, advocates - 0
- Oldest active member of NH chapter of MOAA turns 100 - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Londonderry Post 27 will host events - 0
- Gov. Perry calls on vets, other Americans to restore country - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children - 1
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced