Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Orioles efficient in win over Sox
The victory moved the Orioles (39-29) within 1 1/2 games of the first-place Red Sox (41-28) in the American League East.
Tillman (7-2) allowed three hits and struck out three. He walked a batter in each of the first four innings, but kept Boston at bay and retired eight straight before Jose Iglesias led off the seventh inning with a double on his 106th pitch.
Tommie Hunter pitched a perfect eighth and Jim Johnson survived a hit batter in the ninth for his 24th save.
Iglesias had two hits for Boston.
Both teams had many chances to score early. Boston stranded six base runners over the first four innings, and the Orioles wasted a one-out double by Machado in the first.
Baltimore added a run in the third. With one out, Nate McLouth walked and Machado singled.
Iglesias extended his hitting in games in which he has an official plate appearance to 15 with a fourth-inning single. ...
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- Another win for Jones, Kings - 0
- Bruins preparing for tough stretch - 0
- Lucic leads Bruins past Blue Jackets - 0
- Chara's 'Gordie' lifts Bruins over Rangers - 0
- Bruin’s effort a turkey in 6-1 loss to Detroit - 0
- Krug lifts Bruins over Penguins in OT - 0
- B's top Hurricanes in overtime - 0
- Blues tip Bruins in shootout - 0
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Police say man kept suspect at gunpoint in Nashua hospital parking lot - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
- Shaheen, Ayotte on opposite sides of procedural vote on budget compromise - 3
- Snow slows NH rush hour; cancels many evening events - 1
- Loan company and its officials accused of operating illegally in NH - 3
- Two robberies within 45 minutes in Manchester - 2
- NH ranks first in controlling infectious disease, according to report - 1
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Knife-wielding robbers target two stores in Manchester - 2
Blue Jays knuckler may be headed to NH
Most NH hospitals average on measurement of knee, hip surgery; Wentworth-Douglas among worst
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos