Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Police say Somersworth man charged in toddler's smothering death lived with child
Chief Medical Examiner Thomas Andrew determined the child, Noah York, died from smothering and ruled his death a homicide.
Jared Pope, 30, of Somersworth was arrested and charged with manslaughter for allegedly causing the child's death, according to the state Attorney General's Office. He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in the 7th Circuit District Court in Dover.
Geoffrey Ward, an attorney with the AG's Office, confirmed York and Pope lived in the same apartment at 231 High St. but declined to say whether they were related.
Ward said he couldn't comment on the circumstances leading up to the incident, how the child was smothered or why Pope was charged specifically with manslaughter.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 5:48 p.m. Friday to 231 High St. after a 911 call — placed from Apt. 2, where the pair lived — reported a toddler was in distress.
"The child was in distress when the emergency personnel arrived," Ward said.
Ambulance crews transported York to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover, where he was later pronounced dead.
Somersworth police referred all inquiries to the Attorney General's Office.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
- Man arrested in Nashua market robbery - 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- UPDATED: Rochester man shot multiple times as police attempted arrest - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 2
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal