Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem
Kattar, who hails from across the border in Methuen, Mass., had the strong backing of the partisan hometown crowd as he bloodied Baino from the opening round and ruined the Brazilian fighter's previously unblemished record.
Baino, who appeared to be fighting blindly in the later rounds after Kattar opened deep, gushing cuts over both eyes, dropped to 5-1 while Kattar fought his way out of a guillotine choke hold at the end of the first round and a kimora submission attempt in the third to improve to 14-2.
To veteran observers, this appeared to be Kattar's toughest pro fight.
In the co-main event between two first time professionals, Lakes Region Valley Tudo representative Mike Burke dominated John Healey (0-1) from Wakefield, with a succession of strikes, dropped him to the ground, and continued to batter and bloody him until the referee stopped the fight 1:12 into the first round.
With the TKO, Burke stands at 1-0 after an impressive 5-1 amateur record.
In the first amateur fight of the night, Team Triumph of Nashua representative Jay Perrin improved to 3-1 by submitting Matt Denning of CMBJJ with an arm bar in 2:28 of round 2. Denning, who battled his opponent evenly in the first round at 140 pounds, dropped his second straight match to fall to 1-2.
Florian's better stand-up game proved the difference as he was declared the winner by split decision and upped his record to 3-0 while Cafone is now 3-1.
Next up, Scott Gorgone and Dave Sousa got the crowd screaming and cheering from the opening bell with an aggressive, intense and evenly waged bloody battle featuring a flurry of powerful strikes and a masterful ground game from both tough and courageous fighters for the first two rounds.
Gorgone gained the advantage in the final round with his ground game and was declared the winner by unanimous decision to remain undefeated at 3-0-0, while Sousa dropped to 1-2 while being a better fighter than his record shows.
Then Dan Connaughton (1-0) needed only 1:07 of the first round to win his amateur debut when he submitted local favorite Kristian Lombardi of Team Fury (0-1) by an arm bar in their fight at 185 pounds.
145 - Calvin Kattar (Methuen, MA) def. Gabriel Baino (Brazil), unanimous decision
155- Mike Burke (Laconia, NH) def. John Healey (Wakefield, NH), TKO, 1:21 Round 1
140 - Jay Perrin (Hudson, NH) def. Matt Denning (Lewiston, ME), arm triangle, 2:28 Round 2
145 - Scott Gorgone (Maynard, MA) def. David Sousa (No. Andover, MA), unanimous dec.
155- Wayne Ahlquist (Meredith, NH) def. Tollison Lewis (Windham, ME), unanimous dec.
190 - Paul Gaffney (Manchester, NH) def. Crowsneck Boutin (Lube, ME), TKO round 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
Sales of new limited edition ‘Old Man’ liquor bottles will help fund Hall of Flags restoration projectREADER COMMENTS: 0
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840